File Recovery

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 17:39:19 UTC 2008

i accidentally excluded a wanted directory from my monthly backup, and
from all the times that i needed to use the backup for a recovery
yesterday, with this incomplete backup, and i didn't notice that the
diectory wasn't backed up until after i deleted the whole system and
restored from the backup, so basically i ended up with around 4 GiB of
downloaded data missing!

i use ext3 filesystem, and have seperate /usr /var /home /boot
partitions, leaving the rest of the root partition almost empty, that's
why i chose /sharedstuff as a common place for downloading and sharing
stuff on samba.

what are my chances of recoveringsome of these files? and what programs
can i use?

this directory contained many small files that i don't care about, but
2huge files (dvd images being downloaded with utorrent and pre
allocated, these 2 are what i care about most

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems