Temporary solution a problem configuring "at" in Intrepid

Glenn R Williams gloonie at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 30 23:10:47 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I posted this as a bug, but though I should post my temporary solution here:

I was having a problem from the latest upgrade to Intrepid because adept
couldn't configure at, ubuntu-standard, or the lsb-* packages. It kept
reporting:

dpkg: error processing at (--configure):

Well, following an old bug, I looked at /var/spool/cron:

ls -l /var/spool/cron
total 3
drwxrwx--T 2 bin    bin     1024 2007-06-21 10:10 atjobs
drwxrwx--T 2 daemon daemon  1024 2008-07-10 11:01 atspool
drwx-wx--T 2 root   crontab 1024 2008-10-17 23:28 crontabs

Notice that atjobs has owner as bin/bin. I changed this to
daemon:daemon:

sudo chown daemon:daemon /var/spool/cron/atjobs

Then I was able to configure at, ubuntu-standard and lsb-core:

$sudo dpkg --configure at
Setting up at (3.1.10.1ubuntu3) ...
 * Starting deferred execution scheduler atd
[ OK ]

$ sudo dpkg --configure ubuntu-standard
Setting up ubuntu-standard (1.124) ...

$ sudo dpkg --configure lsb-core
Setting up lsb-core (3.2-14ubuntu2) ...

$ sudo dpkg --configure lsb-graphics
Setting up lsb-graphics (3.2-14ubuntu2) ...

I still don't know what change the ownership on /var/spool/cron/atjobs, but
the temporary chown seems to work for now.

Here are the bug reports:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/286172
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/279395

Glenn