KDE File Chooser in GTK apps on Kubuntu

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 17:10:34 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 21 October 2008 11:17:47 am Gordon Schulz wrote:
>  Unless there is some
> freedesktop.org standardization or well defined APIs by both KDE/QT and
> GNOME/GTK (which is pretty unlikely for something as internal as file
> selectors) anything that does what the OP linked to is pretty much a quite
> crude hack in my book. Quite likely to break from version to version etc.

I couldn't write a line of code to save my life, but I have a reasonable
understanding of how it works.

The gtk APIs/calls to the file open dialog have to be standard among current
gtk+ apps.  Otherwise gtk+ programs couldn't share them.

Likewise the qt APIs have to be standard so that current versions of KDE
programs can access them.

What needs to be developed is a translation layer that translates calls from
the gtk app to the gtk file open dialog to be redirected to a call to the
corresponding action on a qt file open dialog.  In turn, it would translate
the dialog response to the gtk app.

So, say a single translation layer should work for all calls from gtk 2 apps
to kde 3.5.x apps, though a separate layer might be needed for gtk 1 apps (if
there are still any) or kde 4 apps.