KDE File Chooser in GTK apps on Kubuntu

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 16:03:16 UTC 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/10/21 Gordon Schulz <gordon.schulz at gmail.com>:
>> I agree with you here - but then again some GNOME users will probably
>> want to give their right leg for Amarok to use GTK.
>
> dotan at laptop:~$ limbtogtk -l rightLeg | grep amarok
> http://www.exaile.org/
>
>> Unless there is some
>> freedesktop.org standardization or well defined APIs by both KDE/QT and
>> GNOME/GTK (which is pretty unlikely for something as internal as file selectors)
>> anything that does what the OP linked to is pretty much a quite crude
>> hack in my book. Quite likely to break from version to version etc.
>
> Actually, they do work stably enough from version to version, but not
> from app to app. So the Firefox solution differs from the Open Office
> solution, etc. However, once implemented this could be maintained by
> the _distro_, where it should be maintained. This is a distro issue,
> not an application issue. And it is a real issue for a lot of people.

one of the things i don't like about linux distros is that they don't
actually work much in the features. look at kubuntu for example. they
take the KDE desktop as it is from KDE, do some editing on it to become
*buntu style, and put it in the repos, the same for all apps, how much
development are the distro devs actually doing? packaging and debugging?
the distro needs more actual coding and work from the developers, create
their own unique style. i can install a debian system, put KDE4 on it,
and do some personal customizations on it, like widgets and wallpaper
and etc... , and then take kubuntu intrepid, and apply the same
customizatins, show the 2 systems to an average user, and i bet you
anything he won't make the difference between them! why? because what he
is seeing is neither debians work, nor ubuntu's work, this is KDE's work!

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems