Intrepid?? KDE4 is causing a ruckus, how is Gnome with the new system?

Hans Henry von Tresckow hvontres at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 14:26:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 4:28 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 7:07 AM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Intrepid?? KDE4 is causing a ruckus, how is Gnome with the new system?
>> Do you like 8.10? Is it a good upgrade or will it just be something
>> not to bother with?
>
> I have not updated my Ubuntu desktop or laptop, but I am only hearing
> good things from co-workers who have.  Same is true of Xubuntu.
>

>> I don't want to hear about kde, that belongs on
>> the Kubuntu list.
>
> This is the Kubuntu list, isn't it?
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> --
>> Douglas E Knapp
>>
>> http://sf-journey-creations.wikispot.org/Front_Page
>>
>> --

> artAlexion
> sent unsigned from webmail interface

I can't speak for the gnome parts of intrepid, but I was impressed by
how well the kernel played with my HP dv2416 us laptop. out of the box
the following things worked:
- BCM 4311 rev 2 wireless (had to build wireless compat to get that to
work right in hardy)
- nvidia Wired Ethernet
- backlight brightness (never worked in hardy)
- sound
- suspend to disk

unfortunately, suspend to ram seems to suffer from some sort of SATA bug.

HTH

--
Henry von Tresckow (hvontres)