Dual boot Gutsy and Hardy

Neil Winchurst barnaby at drofle.com
Thu Oct 16 17:08:25 UTC 2008

Billie Walsh wrote:
> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> I am running Kubuntu Gutsy at the moment. I now have the alternate
>> install CD for Hardy. I have plenty of room on my hard disk (I am using
>> under 10% at the moment) so I would like to add Hardy as a second
>> distro, with the choice at log-in whether to run Gutsy or Hardy.
>>
>> I did this in the past with Mandriva and Kubuntu, using Mandriva
>> partitioner and it worked well. I am not so sure now that I have Kubuntu
>> installed.
>>
>> I have Googled for dual booting but everyone seems to assume that you
>> want to have Linux and Windows. Not so.
>>
>> Can anyone start me off please? Will this be a simple task using the
>> alternate CD?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Neil Winchurst
>>

> Piece of cake. Pop in the install CD and boot the machine. Pick
> "Install". When it comes to the partition part of the install use the
> manual and set up how you want it done. Let it finish installation.
> DONE!!!!  [ OH YEAH, you have to tell it where you want Grub installed. ]

So where do I install it please?

> I KNOW your going to get other advice about using gparted, or something,
> to partition the disk before you start and all that stuff but I find
> that the installer partitioner [ probably gparted ] does just fine.
>
> During the Grub installation process it looks at ALL your hard drives
> and sets everything up for you. No sweat!

When I did the aforementioned Kubuntu install (when Mandriva was already
installed) it went very well. What I did then was use the Mandriva
partion program first to reduce the size of the main partition for
Mandriva which left a chunk of HD 'empty'.

When I then installed Edgy one of the choices was 'Use any empty space
on the hard disk' for the new install. I did this and Edgy was installed
into the empty part of the HD. When I rebooted at the end I found that
the dual boot system was already set up for me, with Edgy as the first
choice. Easy.

I am happy to set up Hardy as a completely separate distro on the HD. I
am not expecting to  anything from my current Gutsy set up to be
included. Then I can look at Hardy and use it to see if it should become
my main distro.

Thanks for any help

Neil