list of installed files during "make install"

P Kapat kap4lin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 05:51:25 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 8:29 AM, Bas Roufs <basroufs at gmail.com> wrote:
> To the latter question, I cannot give a clear answer. However, I found
> out some months ago how to generate a 'list of installed files' on one
> Kubuntu machine in order to get the same software package on another

[snip]

> ~$ sudo dpkg --get-selections | grep -v deinstall > kubuntu-files

[snip]

Oh boy, this is entirely different! You seem to have confused between
a list of installed packages and the list of _files_ installed _by_
one package. For example, try the following:

~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep kdebase-bin-kde3
~$ dpkg -L kdebase-bin-kde3

While the former shows that the software package "kdebase-bin-kde3" is
installed the later gives the _files_ which are part of the
kdebase-bin-kde3 package. And certainly, you do not need sudo
privileges for --get-selections!!

--
Regards
PK