internet connection on Kubuntu Hardy

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 09:37:07 UTC 2008

[edit]
> I had finally successfully purged network-manager and network-manager-kde.
> Now I can't get on line to reinstall them.  Not by any means.  And they
> aren't on the install CD I used, anyhow according to apt.

Okay, if you have finally purged network-manager then the package manager
you used to do that has removed all the configuration files so the system
in theory is now in a state where manual configuration could work because
the things that were trying to automagically configure for you are out of
the way. So, are you sure you've purged network-manager properly?

If you now configure your interface in /etc/network/interfaces, for
example:

auto eth0 inet dhcp (use the appropriate interface for your system)

Now that you have manually configured the interface (by the way, what
method did you use for this), in a terminal (konsole would be a good
terminal program to use):
[I suppose you could skip this step if you so choose]
sudo ifconfig (your interface name) down

then:
sudo ifconfig (your interface name) up

Either your system will obtain an IP address from your router's DHCP
server or there will be an error message created which could help identify
the problem.

If it fails, then post the error message. It might be worthwhile to also
post your interfaces file in that case so we can see your manual
configuration.

> Not by any means.  And they
> aren't on the install CD I used, anyhow according to apt.

Well, if they installed the first time, it's highly likely that they are
still there to be installed again. So be calm about this until you have
tried to get manual configuration to work.