Beta 8.10 released

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Oct 11 23:44:24 UTC 2008

On Saturday 11 October 2008, Lisi Reisz wrote:
>On Sunday 12 October 2008 00:01:23 Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >So considerably more than a third of your age... !
>>
>> Mmm, yes, I'd have to agree.  How long have you been working with
>> computers?
>
>Since 1965.  (Ouch!)  And you?
>
>Lisi

I saw my first one, a 12,000 tube vacuum tube model in the middle '50's at SUI
where they were using it to grade the Iowa Test (similar to the S/B for IQ),
with a typical uptime of maybe 20 minutes at best, but the first one I could
actually play with was in '77.  I built a one board Super Elf, then built the
rest of it up to be a machine controller that was used for nearly 20 years at
KRCR-tv.  I was the A.C.E. there then.  A 4k static ram board kit for the
s-100 bus was $400 then.  An RCA 1802 cpu, an odd bird but bulletproof.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)