Sudden complications with Adept and Synaptic

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Oct 11 11:49:57 UTC 2008

Bas Roufs wrote:
> root at Viaconsensus1:/home/bas# adept
>
> bash: adept: command not found

Seems there is no adept command:

~/ > apt-file search adept|grep /usr/bin
adept-batch: /usr/bin/adept_batch
adept-installer: /usr/bin/adept_installer
adept-manager: /usr/bin/adept_manager
adept-notifier: /usr/bin/adept_notifier
adept-updater: /usr/bin/adept_updater

Sorry, can't tell you which one should be used because I use synaptic. My
guess would be adept_manager.

> root at Viaconsensus1:/home/bas# synaptic

> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> (synaptic:7679): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

That is how it should be. Having root privilege doesn't mean root is
allowed to acces the display of bas.

> bas at Viaconsensus1:~$ kdesu synaptic
>
> (after hitting the enter button, nothing happened).

That's a bit strange. could it be that your kdesu is broken? But there is
something else you could try as user bas. Install gksu and use that one
instead of kdesu:

sudo apt-get install gksu
gksu synaptic

Nils