8.10b - first impression and questions

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Fri Oct 10 17:13:26 UTC 2008

Art Alexion wrote:

>>> It's called a Crescent wrench.
>>>
>> Not in my neck of the woods.  A crescent wrench is a _fixed_ size open
>> wrench.
>>

> I thought crescent was a brand name, like Kleenex, Coke and Spam.

It is.

As someone else stated often in different parts of the world generic
things take on the name. In the south of the USofA all soft drinks are
coke's. [ "Want a coke? Answer, "Yes" "What kind?" is a reasonable
conversation. ] One area of Louisiana all vacuum cleaners are referred
to as "Hoovers". "Crescent Wrench" is used for any of the type of
adjustable wrench originated by Crescent Tool Company. "Kleenex" can
mean any of a type of tissue originated by Kimberly Clarke.