8.10b - first impression and questions

Mark Fraser kubuntu at mfraz.orangehome.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 13:41:21 UTC 2008

On Friday 10 October 2008 07:07:15 Nigel Ridley wrote:

> David, -- it was a joke! An adjustable spanner is just that - adjustable --
> it's neither metric nor imperial.
> When I was an apprentice the older guys used to send us to fetch 'left
> handed screwdrivers', 'a bucket of steam', 'a skirting ladder', 'some
> bubbles for a spirit level', 'sky hooks' and of course 'an adjustable
> metric spanner -- not an imperial one!'.
>
> Just some humor :-)
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

Reminds me of a comedy album from Mike Harding, in one sketch he told how he
used to be sent to the stores for items that you listed above and sparks for
the grinder. With the bubbles for the spirit level, the storeman asked what
shape he wanted, after he said square ones the reply came back 'we haven't
got any, someone dropped them so we're going to grind the corners off to make
round ones'.