8.10b - first impression and questions

David McGlone d.mcglone at att.net
Fri Oct 10 11:44:20 UTC 2008

On Friday 10 October 2008 2:07:15 am Nigel Ridley wrote:
> David McGlone wrote:

> >> Not in my neck of the woods.  A crescent wrench is a _fixed_ size open
> >> wrench.
> >
> > They were saying it was hard to find an adjustable metric in the U.S. but
> > a Crescent wrench (or an adjustable spanner) in the U.S. is adjustable to
> > standard or metric sizes and is all too common in a toolbox in America.
> > So I don't know how they came up with them being hard to find and never
> > seeing one. :-)
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjustable_spanner
> >
> > David M.
>
> David, -- it was a joke! An adjustable spanner is just that - adjustable --
> it's neither metric nor imperial.
> When I was an apprentice the older guys used to send us to fetch 'left
> handed screwdrivers', 'a bucket of steam', 'a skirting ladder', 'some
> bubbles for a spirit level', 'sky hooks' and of course 'an adjustable
> metric spanner -- not an imperial one!'.
>
> Just some humor :-)

LOL What an air head I am! I wasn't following this thread, but I did happen to
read the one I replied to. I thought some on the list really thought there
wasn't an adjustable wrench and I wanted to help them. I guess I love my
tools more than I thought. LOL.

Sorry guys. I'll shut my piehole now :-)

David M.