Beta 8.10 released

Steve Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Thu Oct 9 22:06:11 UTC 2008

Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> Yah, on the whole I agree, maintaining two separate KDE's is just not
> feasible even in the short term, I'm surprised they even did it for Hardy.

    Wait, wait.  Hold on a sec.  Ubuntu touches almost 2 dozen thousand
packages, maintains no less than 5 different front ends (GNome, KDE, XFCE, Edu
and netbook) and somehow KDE3 would be too difficult!?  ...  Uhhhh, no.

> I dunno what the solution is other than wait for KDE 4.3 or 4.4. Maybe
> Kubuntu should have stuck with KDE 3.5 till 2009, but people would have
> been upset with that as well. Rock and a hard place really.

    Keep it as it is or even take another step forward.

8.04 ships with 3.5.9 with 4.0 as an alternative.  Upgraded to 3.5.10 and
4.1.2 respectively.

8.10 ships with 4.1.2 with 3.5.10 as an alternative.  Probably might see 4.2.x
out of this.

9.04 ships with 4.2.x.

    That way it is a full year until 3.5.10 is dropped and allows for 18
months past that which should take it to the LTS of 4.x.  It gives 4.x time to
mature.  I use it, I won't say it isn't improved over 4.0 but it is almost
there.  The key word is almost.  I think another 6 months to mature would
change that from "almost" to "yes, it's ready."  That, to me, is what people
are asking for.  The option to pick between the two up until 4.x is ready.