Beta 8.10 released

Emanoil Kotsev deloptes at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 7 21:02:35 UTC 2008

Hello,

--- On Tue, 10/7/08, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:

> > For some, Linux in general, and Kubuntu in particular
> may be a hobby,
> > but for me and many others, it is THE tool we use to
> get our work done.

I should admit that we do this on our own risk ;-)

> One thing to think about on this list is that most people
> talking on
> it are the people that are the devs, programmers and
> hobbyists. The
> people doing work with *ubuntu are off working and the
> average user is
> only here when they need help (for a newbie that is into
> banking or
> art and not computers, this is a really boring read!). I
> think it is
> obvious that *ubuntu is meant to be stable first and
> cutting edge
> second. Alpha, beta and rc are meant to be used by the
> helpers to find
> bugs. The bugs should be gone by final. As we all know, no
> one is
> perfect and some last minute bugs end up getting fixed in
> final.

So do you learn anything from this discussion? I think it is obvious that users fall into this trap installing lates kubuntu and finding out that it's not working or that they are beta testers, so I think kde and kubuntu should consider next time do more public work talking about what is changing and how safe is to migrate.

There is usually a gap between developers and users - a discussion that I held with kernel developers ended up so that distribution providers like k/ubuntu are responsible to fill this gap. This means developers develop programs which are released. Distributions should pack them and provide them to the end user. End users should report problems to distribution maintainers and distribution maintainers should provide feedback to developers. I think this is the right way, but obviously there is another gap between distribution maintainers/developers and end users.

But enough with this storry

What I'm interested in is how long kde 3.5 will be supported. 18 months from when?
How do I find out if my system is LST or not. I think I downloaded LST because of the long term support but don't remember right.
If lets say in 15months kde 4 is still not usable what do we do then? kde3 still has issues for somebody who's fixing them? Or is tehre going to be maintanance but only for LST? I need to read more about it thanks anyway.

regards