Beta 8.10 released

Graham Todd grahamtodd2 at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 6 23:32:17 UTC 2008

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 15:03:53 -0400
"Steve C. Lamb" <grey at dmiyu.org> wrote:

>     The reasons are not clear.  Further discussion might clear things
> up. Furthermore it is an expression of how "further discussion" has
> been ignored. There are many points in my messages people have not
> addressed.  Which is becoming par for course.
[snipped]

Steve, as far as I am aware, there are no distributions of Linux that
have seriously canvassed users about what they should include.  These
discussions are generally between developers, and users are able to
improve or shape distributions by contributing directly, or through
forums and #irc channels.

If you don't like the content of a distribution, choose another.  I
 don't like Gnome, preferring KDE and Enlightenment, and
most .rpm based distributions have their own problems for me.  That is
the main reason I choose Kubuntu as my main distribution.

If I stay with Kubuntu, I shall have to change over to KDE 4.1
eventually.  That decision has already been taken by the KDE team.
As a user of long standing, I was never consulted and "further
discussion" over the direction of Kubuntu or KDE was never suggested.
But by working with the whole Kubuntu community, developers can (and
do) make the distribution better.

I can believe that many of the points you raise have not been
addressed, but without changing your distribution to something like
Debian, they will never be addressed until a volunteer somewhere can
devote time to do it.  People making remarks such as "I do not want to
be a beta tester" lose sight of what kind of an operating system Linux
really is: new developments are put out for us to try and make better,
so in a sense if you want to use Linux you ARE going to be a beta
tester.

Steve, whether you like it or not, the future of Kubuntu and KDE is
with KDE 4.  That decision has been made, and now is not an issue.  As
this debate has shown, though, one of the things we may have to get
right in the *Ubuntu community at large is how we communicate with each
other.  And on that I fully agree with you.

--
Graham Todd