Beta 8.10 released

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 19:38:23 UTC 2008

> the developer community is well-organised, they choose what is best for
> a system after loads of discussion and meetings.

I run an open source project and what gets picked is often the thing
that is defended the strongest and that is mostly done by the same
people. The loud ones and the founders tend to get their way unless
they are just plain dumb or wrong. Best? How can you know that? They
pick what they think is best or what flatters their egos.

> i find the decision
> very reasonable, as mentioned in the rationale section of the
> kubuntu-intrepid blueprint
> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuIntrepidVersion, "KDE 3 is obsolete and
> largely unmaintained. Keeping with KDE 3 would offer no advantage over
> giving users Hardy." .
> that said,kubuntu hardy, LTS or not, will always be available if you
> want KDE3, you want to be able to get the latest versions of programs?
> you'll get the latest version of KDE4 along! and you always have the
> option of adding 3rd party repos for ur programs, it's not really a good
> excuse for complaining. that's not to mention that KDE4 is a lot more
> stable now, it has crashed only twice in the last 3 weeks, which isn't
> that bad, since KDE3 used to crash at such a rate sometimes.

What does giving users Hardy mean? There would be a lot of advantages
to giving users KDE 3, if KDE 4 really clashes 3 times a week!! It is
not like a distro only advances in the area of the desktop. There are
lots of other things the devs could improve. I have 2 computers that
can't even boot the install CD and 3 that wifi will not work on
without weeks of tweeking. One still does not work and making wpa2
work is even more of a pain.(that IS a complaint, BTW) I hope these
things get better in 8.10

I have never had KDE3 crash. I have had kicker crash or maybe I should
say undo it's own settings but then you just have to do a alt-f1 and
reset it.

Any software that I have that crashes 3 times a week gets removed and
replace!! I had enough of that BS with Windows. I run Linux because
crashing one time a month is WAY to much!! I have never had Linux
crash on me to the point that I had to shut down the system! I have
had to reboot KDE before I learned that I could just kill whatever
software crashed and all would be fine.

> you find
> plasma a waste of time? remove all widgets, add a folder view and extend
> it across your desktop. you don't like the new menu? remove it and put
> the old one, it's available. kontact as some ppl mentioned is a lot more
> stable now. in terms of performance, turn desktop effects off, and
> you'll get a blazing fast system. heck! even dolphin got a bit faster in
> the latest KDE 4.1.2. you don't like dolphin? associate directories with
> konqueror,

My understanding of Konqueror in KDE 4 is that it is Dolphine on the
file manager side of it.

I still don't see complaints here. I have seen people point to big
black marks and say, "Wow, look a big black mark!" That is not a
complaint but an observation. Saying, I don't want big black marks in
my computer, is also not a complaint but a statement of desire. I
complaint would be, "Big black marks SUCK, I can't stand them! Man I
wish there were no big black marks. Why am I always surrounded by big
black marks?"

--
Douglas E Knapp