Beta 8.10 released

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Oct 6 17:39:47 UTC 2008

Michael W. Holdeman wrote:

[ I really don't know how you can manage to make KMail do such a dog-awful
quoting job...'

> On Monday 06 October 2008 10:16:18 Willy K. Hamra wrote:
>> Derek Broughton wrote:

>> > I'd attribute any problems _all_ to gmail.  I use IMAP to access a
>> > local server, and to access gmail, and for the local server it's
>> > perfectly
>> > reasonable (though it's inherent in the IMAP spec that it's not going
>> > to be blindingly fast on anything but the fattest pipe)
>>
>> i use thunderbird to access my gmail using IMAP, and it's not slow at
>> all! i used kontact when i first started using linux to access gmail
>> using POP3, but didn't like the result too much. that was gmail's fault
>> actually. but as for IMAP, i never used it kontact, but at the same
>> time, never had any problem with it on hunderbird, so i can't see how it
>> could be gmail's fault. :S

It could be gmail's fault because gmail has shoe-horned a non-standard mail
storage mechanism into an IMAP interface.

> I use kontact in 4.1.2 for several email accounts includeing 5 IMAP
> accounts, 3 of which are gmail. No problems so far. (for a long time)

I have no problems, either, but it is pretty slow, and given the amount of
data that goes back and forth in an IMAP session, that's no surprise.
--
derek