Beta 8.10 released

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 16:36:46 UTC 2008

Steve C. Lamb wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 10:30:36AM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
>> I'm not sure you or I are in a position to say what the duties of the
>> Kubuntu developers is or should be.
>
>     But we are.  We have the statements Ubuntu has on public pages about the
> distribution "just works".  That, to me, means they are looking for stable
> usibility vs. bleeding edge "wow" factor.

you are of course right, but then again, the developers in themselves
are a community! it's not a big boss, or a board of around a dozen big
bosses saying KDE4 NOW OR YOU ALL GET FIRED! :P

the developer community is well-organised, they choose what is best for
a system after loads of discussion and meetings. i find the decision
very reasonable, as mentioned in the rationale section of the
kubuntu-intrepid blueprint
https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuIntrepidVersion, "KDE 3 is obsolete and
largely unmaintained. Keeping with KDE 3 would offer no advantage over
giving users Hardy." .

that said,kubuntu hardy, LTS or not, will always be available if you
want KDE3, you want to be able to get the latest versions of programs?
you'll get the latest version of KDE4 along! and you always have the
option of adding 3rd party repos for ur programs, it's not really a good
excuse for complaining. that's not to mention that KDE4 is a lot more
stable now, it has crashed only twice in the last 3 weeks, which isn't
that bad, since KDE3 used to crash at such a rate sometimes. you find
plasma a waste of time? remove all widgets, add a folder view and extend
it across your desktop. you don't like the new menu? remove it and put
the old one, it's available. kontact as some ppl mentioned is a lot more
stable now. in terms of performance, turn desktop effects off, and
you'll get a blazing fast system. heck! even dolphin got a bit faster in
the latest KDE 4.1.2. you don't like dolphin? associate directories with
konqueror, make sure it's set above dolphin in file association, and
there you go, konqueror is default file manager (except for the new
device notification, which for some reason ignores associations).

what is it exactly that you're still complaining about?

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems