Beta 8.10 released

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Mon Oct 6 14:13:42 UTC 2008

On Friday 03 October 2008 2:32:05 pm Nils Kassube wrote:
> Art Alexion wrote:
> > On Friday 03 October 2008 9:57:12 am Nils Kassube wrote:
> > > Give the developers time to finish their work. I
> > > expect there will be many improvements within that one year and KDE4
> > > will be usable until then.
> >
> > Isn't that something that should be done /before/ making it the
> > default?
>
> That is certainly debatable, but if KDE3 was delivered with Intrepid,
> someone would have to spend developer time for that version for 18 months
> according to the Canonical support promise. And if there are two KDE
> versions to support, it simply doubles the necessary ressources which
> doesn't make sense financially. Remember: Developer time = €€€.

If you only included the stable 3.5.x, you wouldn't need to support 4.x except
in development.

> Now if you read the other posts on this list about KDE4, there seem to be
> several people who don't mind switching already. Therefore I don't think
> it is a real problem to have KDE4 as default and no KDE3 for Intrepid.

"Several people who don't mind switching already" doesn't constitute the
demand I would expect to be needed to force the large number of people who do
mind switching.

I keep hearing, "Patience, KDE 4 is not quite ready, but it will be great when
it is."  I trust that promise from the KDE developers, but I question the
Kubuntu decision to go with a desktop environment that its developers admit
is not ready.