Beta 8.10 released

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Oct 6 13:18:43 UTC 2008

p.daniels wrote:

> I'm surprised at these replies. The biggest winner for me on KDE4 has been
> Kontact, I find it much less crashy than on KDE3.

Glad to hear it - I have every intention of using KDE4 on Intrepid.  My
complaint has been that _no_ fixes to kde-pim have been applied in KDE3 for
years, but that almost none of the ones I've been waiting for has been
fixed in KDE4.  That doesn't mean that I don't expect quite a few
improvements - I'd be so surprised if it's not greatly improved that I'd
drop KDE completely.

> IMAP is still dog slow,
> but that's not new and I attribute at least half of it to Gmail's horrible
> IMAP implementation.

I'd attribute any problems _all_ to gmail.  I use IMAP to access a local
server, and to access gmail, and for the local server it's perfectly
reasonable (though it's inherent in the IMAP spec that it's not going to be
blindingly fast on anything but the fattest pipe)
--
derek