Beta 8.10 released

Graham Todd grahamtodd2 at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 4 20:18:19 UTC 2008

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 09:56:58 +0200
Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hole in one, nail on the head, this is *Ubuntu. I use it because I
> don't want Gentoo style hacking. I don't want to hack my OS. I want to
> hack my game program that I am writing. *ubuntu stands for "Just
> works", I think that is why they have become so big. I stated linux to
> escape the blue screen of death. I started Ubuntu to escape system
> hacking but have the latest and greatest software.
[snipped]

Well, that isn't what Linux, or the Ubuntu family, is supposed to be
about.  They are part of a bigger community where people give as well
as receive.  To make the software and the various distributions better
there needs to be some input; we have always been beta testers.  If
thats not what you are prepared to be, don't use the latest and
greatest bleeding edge software, like KDE4.1.2.

If you want to use Linux software "that just works", try something like
Debian stable.  It won't have the latest and greatest software in it,
but it will be tested until all the bugs are out of the system.  And
that takes a community effort.

--
Graham Todd