Beta 8.10 released

Steve Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Sat Oct 4 01:44:50 UTC 2008

Graham Todd wrote:
> Whether we like it or not, KDE 4 is the next development of KDE.  KDE
> 4.1.2 represents the latest version of KDE.

    No one is disputing that.  The issue is in the next batch of statements.

> Try it, and give feedback
> to make future developments better.  If you don't like it, then there
> are alternatives: Ubuntu (GNOME), Xubuntu (XFCE), OpenGEU
> (ENLIGHTENMENT).  The only other way is to use a version of KDE that
> will (eventually) not be supported any more.

> So no, not every version of every desktop environment/window manager is
> totally usable.  We help to make them better.

    All of these are laudable, to be sure.  But this misses the point of
Ubuntu.  This is an end-user oriented distribution.  As such it is incumbent
on Ubuntu (oh how I wish base Ubuntu would be called GUnuntu and be done with
it) developers to ensure that the end product is usable, totally.  People who
come to this distribution, by and large, are not the same people who want to
"give feedback to make future developments better".  They want things to work.

    Look, I am no stranger to Linux, bug reporting, software development
either from the outside or the inside.  KDE4 is growing on me and 4.1.1 has
been my default for my main Linux usage for the past several weeks.  Even so I
an on KUbuntu because I was tired of fighting with Debian to do things which I
thought aught be simple.  Have the proprietary drivers in a package.  Not have
to bang me head against X configurations every release.  Sounds that works out
of the box.  In short, no tweaking, no "it'll get better next release".
Operative word, the only one that matters, is WORKS.

    Telling people who are here for that word, that stuff WORKS, to tough it
up and submit reports when there is a Viable, functional desktop that WORKS
for them is counter productive.  Quite frankly, those who are inclined to go
along with your sentiment are the very same people who can deal with the
additional step of installing from am alternative CD or installing KDE4
post-install.  The default should be set for the wider audience; not used to
brow-beat that audience into a choice that clearly is not yet ready.

--
         Steve C. Lamb         | But who can decide what they dream
       PGP Key: 1FC01004       |      and dream I do