Compiz Fusion help needed.

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 30 20:10:46 UTC 2008

Steven Vollom wrote:
> About a month ago, I installed Compiz to take advantage of the cube and
> multiple desktops.  It made it easier to keep track of several things
> happening at the same time.  Nonetheless, it did not work as
> advertised.  It works pretty well, but I am only able to get 2 desktops
> on my computer.  I would prefer 4.  I set it up so that I could use the
> wheel on the mouse to move from desktop to desktop.
>
> When I attempt to change to 4 desktops, I click apple and even re-boot
> to set the changes, however they never take.  It always returns to two
> desktops on my Kmenu links bar (the one that drops down, when I put my
> cursor in the upper left corner of the Desktop screen).  And, in System
> Settings where I set the choice, it returns to one desktop each time.  A
> little confusing, I realize, with one only in Systems Settings, and two
> on the Desktop, while 4 requested.  Has anyone experienced and fixed
> this unusual situation?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Steven

I think I went through something like this when I installed it the first
time.  There is a setting in the Advanced Desktop Effects Settings under
General.  There is a tab called Desktop Size.  I use the cube with eight
desktops (actually an octagon, I guess).  So when I spin around between
desktops I have eight to choose  from.  To get this, I set the
Horizontal Virtual Size to 8, and left the other two at 1.  If you want
an actual cube, set the Horizontal Virtual Size to 4.

Under System Settings > Desktop > Multiple Desktops, I have the number
of desktops set to 1.

Paul