Why use a virtual machine? **RESOLVED**

nepal nepal.roade at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 30 08:53:40 UTC 2008

On Sunday 30 Nov 2008, Steven Vollom wrote:
> The last time, I got so mad, I broke my CD so that I did
> not have it to fall back on.  I wish I hadn't done that,
> I would like to have a virtual machine, now that I better
> understand, but I will never give Microsfoft another
> penny.  It may be cutting my nose off to spite my face,
> but I want Linux to win this battle, and that kind of
> commitment is necessary to make it happen, I believe.

I respect your determination to deprive M$ of any further
money. Well done, I do the same. Not because of anything
they did to me personally, but because of their disgusting
business practises. All they will ever get from me is my
greatest contempt. :)

With regards your genuine copy of whichever version of
windows you have, my understanding is that you purchase the
license, and get a license number and activation code along
with the cd. That is how it was with the last genuine copy
of windows I had, win 95. The activation code is on the
little booklet that comes with the windows cd/dvd. I still
have it here somewhere.

So you could use any XP disk that is not your own, and use
your license/activation code that you did pay for. But M$
being as dispicable as they are may well have closed that
loophole.

nepal.