Why use a virtual machine? **RESOLVED**

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 30 02:14:01 UTC 2008

Ignazio Palmisano wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> I have been reading for a couple of hours trying to understand the
>> function of a virtual machine, and how to make it work.  I even
>> installed VirtualBox, but can't get it working yet.
>>
>> When you operate using a virtual system, does it function the same as
>> using the program, like Win XP?
>>

> It works like a separate computer. For programs running in the virtual
> machine (most of them at least), it's just like being run on a real system
>

>> When operating it, can you make things function, like play a .bin movie
>> that won't play in Hardy?
>>

> Yes, if the operating system and/or the player installed in it support it
>

>> Do you have to purchase a copy of Windows XP to install in the
>> VirtualMachine or how do you get it in your computer?  I am not willing
>> to pay any more money to Microsoft; I have been abused by them.
>> Nonetheless, there are things that I cannot do, because of not having XP
>> anymore.
>>

> To legally use windows on a virtual machine, you need a license for it.
> What do you mean "not having XP any more"? Did you have it installed on
> some computer, and was it preinstalled (a OEM version) or did you have a
> separate copy you installed? The preinstalled OEM copies usually cannot
> be used on any other hardware, so no virtual machine as well, but if you
> had a regular copy you can use it.

This is the part that I did not understand well.  I don't know other
people's reasons for leaving Microsoft products, but they hurt me.  If
you register a purchase then have an accident and damage your CD, they
make you pay again.  From Windows 95 through XP I always had a legal
copy of Windows, however, when I had need for help, they made me pay,
even though the problem was of their creation.  I don't see the value of
registration, if they are unwilling to provide replacement when a
customer has an accident.  They MO is to make you put your CD back into
the system all the time.  That creates opportunity for accidents and
wear and tear.  The last time, I got so mad, I broke my CD so that I did
not have it to fall back on.  I wish I hadn't done that, I would like to
have a virtual machine, now that I better understand, but I will never
give Microsfoft another penny.  It may be cutting my nose off to spite
my face, but I want Linux to win this battle, and that kind of
commitment is necessary to make it happen, I believe.

>> These questions are on the front side of my interest in Virtual Box.
>> None are answered in my first two hours of study.  At least they were
>> not explained in a way I could understand.  It seems like the answers I
>> want are  assumed by the author.  I am even reading about advanced
>> benefits and alternative uses, and I still do not know if what I want is
>> available.
>>

> What have you tried that didn't work? Have you tried creating virtual
> machines and installing operating systems into them?

I was hoping there was some application out there that did not require
giving any money to Microsoft that would make the virtual environment
rather than using an actual Microsoft program.  Pretty naive, however,
that was the only way I would use it.

>> There are so many ways I am lacking in my understanding of the operation
>> of a Linux system, I don't want to waste my study time on a subject that
>> doesn't serve a need.  It looks like I could read for days without my
>> question being addressed, if ever.
>>
>> Additionally, if you are required to purchase a copy of XP to install
>> into the virtual machine, what is the advantage of that over a dual boot
>> system that has XP as an alternate boot?
>>

> :) because you don't need a reboot to use a windows program, if you need
> to... or you can run an operating system you don't normally use to
> assist remotely someone else who's using it (I've been doing that on the
> phone like: do this, what do you see? /that and that./ - replicate the
> steps on my side - ok now you should see this, does it work? /yes/...
> and so forth. Time consuming but more effective than guessing or flying
> to the other end of the cable to fix the problem myself )

The only thing I miss from Windows is Spider Solitaire, it was
entertaining once in a while.