Why use a virtual machine? **RESOLVED** What I wanted to know, was answered. I am not interested anymore. THANKS TO ALL

Constantinos Maltezos pandarsson at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 30 05:46:51 UTC 2008

On Saturday 29 November 2008 9:33:31 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
<snip>
> I had two motivations in this post; neither are something I am proud of.
>
> I wanted a way to avoid giving Microsoft any more money and still use
> what I wanted from them.  Additionally, I wanted to download a movie I
> didn't pay for.  Neither reason is worthy of publishing.
<snip>

I don't judge you for those.  I don't do them (I used to), but I can
understand some reasoning behind doing the things you mention.  However,
please allow me to encourage you (if you're not doing this already) and anyone
else interested to at the very least check out alternative sources.  You're
already using Linux and, by your act of asking questions and making
suggestions, contributing, so that's a good thing.  However, there is music
and other art released under the Creative Commons or similar licensing and
some of it is very good.  Movies cost a lot to make, but some of the best
movies are made independently of the big studios and are more worthy of
handing over a little of your hard-earned money for.  And I can guarantee you
that somewhere in your area, there's a group of amateur actors and film crew
hopefuls making little films that will show in an art house for free.  And if
you want to see something neat and also free, search the web for the 48 Hour
Film Project.  It's a contest where a group of people who are interested in
trying it get together and are given 48 hours to write, rehearse and film a
short.  Go through the winners - they are only a few minutes long each and
amazing.  (And as a theatre person, I have to mention that community theatre
can be fun and fairly cheap and much more intimate than a movie.)

Anyway, I wonder if you misunderstood me in my previous message.  I only meant
that a thread we start can take life even when we're through with it and
others can learn from it.