OT: Bad HD or bad RAM? - bad RAM!

Willy Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 07:41:24 UTC 2008

On 26/11/2008, Nigel Ridley <nigel at prayingforisrael.net> wrote:
> For the last few weeks I have been trying to install 8.10 on my daughter's PIII. I had already
> added an extra stick of 256 MB RAM and was ready for a nice easy install....
> Every time I tried it would get stuck fairly early on with a nice red screen and an error message
> about a bat file on the CD. No problen burn another CD... OK try a different CD brand..... OK try
> a different hard drive (this one probably has some badblocks)... OK try another hard drive, this
> one is old and that is why the install gets stuck. I know I will repartition and not use the
> first couple of gigabytes where the 'problem' is... OK I'll try another hard drive.... ENOUGH
> already! I'' just use a live CD for just now - Slax seems quite nice and light -- what's that
> option on the boot menu? Memtest? Nah it couldn't possibly be the memory..........

nigel, i take it you're using an alternate CD? if bot, try using the
alternate CD, and keep pressing alt+f4 every now and then during the
install, it might contain some useful info about errors and the like,
then press alt+f1 to go back to the normal install screen.
hope this helps. and in anyway, it won't hurt to run memtest ;-)

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems