OT: Bad HD or bad RAM? - bad RAM!

Nigel Ridley nigel at prayingforisrael.net
Wed Nov 26 06:26:36 UTC 2008

For the last few weeks I have been trying to install 8.10 on my daughter's PIII. I had already
added an extra stick of 256 MB RAM and was ready for a nice easy install....
Every time I tried it would get stuck fairly early on with a nice red screen and an error message
about a bat file on the CD. No problen burn another CD... OK try a different CD brand..... OK try
a different hard drive (this one probably has some badblocks)... OK try another hard drive, this
one is old and that is why the install gets stuck. I know I will repartition and not use the
first couple of gigabytes where the 'problem' is... OK I'll try another hard drive.... ENOUGH
already! I'' just use a live CD for just now - Slax seems quite nice and light -- what's that
option on the boot menu? Memtest? Nah it couldn't possibly be the memory..........

Blessings,

Nigel