Password question.

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Mon Nov 24 23:34:47 UTC 2008

On Monday 24 November 2008, Steven Vollom wrote:
> I am so happy, Bruce.  I got the password I wanted in Root.  Will that
> also log me in?

NO....  not at the initial boot  login screen.   You are logging in
as 'steven'  - - - -   so use 'steven' s passwd.

> When I need a Root shell, or to get into Adept Package Manager, will it
> work there?

The root passwd will only work when you are su'ing to a root shell.

When you click on Adept, you are still  STEVEN     use steven's passwd.

Anything you do in KDE, you are 'steven'    Synaptic, adept, change systems
setting,  everything.    Only su'ing to a root shell  (as root) will require
root's passwd.

> I did not understand this instruction before.  I tried it now just to
> see if it might work.

<slaps hand to forehead>    why did you not try it before???   I outlined the
procedure at least twice!