Password question.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 24 17:28:21 UTC 2008

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Monday 24 November 2008, Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> First, I can change my Login password to 37 characters.  Then I set a
>> password for root.  Is that what the above says?
>>

> Then I can't help you and what you want I don't think is smart.  And.....
> what I am proposing is not that much tougher than what you want.
>

> Suppose:
>
> 1) You log in to your system with your gawd-awful 37 characters.
>
> 2) you open a console window in KDE.
>
> 3) You type 3 simple things:
>
> xhost +    <this opens the X system for commands you issue at root.>
> su            <jump down to root in the console window)
> <enter roots password>
>
> Now you have a root window that you NEVER NEED TO CLOSE FOR THIS SESSION.
>
> And if you have a two character root password (Not recommended at all)  then
> there is not much to type.
>
> I usually have three such console sessions going at all times,  one of them
> being an ssh session on my email server and firewall.
>
> Now, if you'd trade in some of those 37 characters (like 25 of them)  I'll bet
> you could come out with less key strokes.

Hi Bruce,

Just me again.  I just reread this post.  If I take your suggestion, and
create the Root Shell, will it adopt my current administrator password,
(em).  If I then change my login password to that awful 37 one, will
that automatically change my root shell password to that awful one or
will it remain, em like I want?  Have you ever run into such a dense
head as mine?  Thanks again, friend.

Steven