For Nils who has helped me or any other expert, and Nubies like me.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Nov 24 01:23:28 UTC 2008

On Sunday 23 November 2008, Steven Vollom wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>> Steven, either there is a typu, or you did it wrong, its kwinrc, not
>> kwinrd.
>>
>> Hint, most of the services have a configuration file and this file is
>> generally the services name + either a '.conf', '.rc' or just a plain 'rc'
>
>I didn't notice that, but I did get it right, because it worked.  Do you
>know if I should delete the kwinrc.old file I created.  When I booted, I
>got the old configuration back.  I just have to remember this; it is
>such a sweet fix for this kind of problem.  Thanks for your continued
>interest, friend.  I am getting more confident I can learn this stuff
>every day.

Now that its working, you might want to rename the newly made file to
a 'name'.new, and take the .old off the other one & restart x to see if the
miss-behaviour is back.  If it is, reverse the naming back to where it was,
re-start x again, and delete the old one at your convenience.  With the wrong
name, is isn't going to hurt anything to leave it, other than waste a
kilobyte or 5 of disk space.  20 years ago when floppies were 360k, and
machines had only 64k of ram, we worried about every byte, but a little lint
laying around on a 100Gb drive doesn't amount to much.  And you have learned
something. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)