For Nils who has helped me or any other expert, and Nubies like me.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 23 19:54:34 UTC 2008

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 23 November 2008, Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> nepal wrote:

>>> This is what I wrote;

>>> Try doing that to sort out your problem.
>>>
>>> "Is there a way to start over with original settings?"
>>>
>>> nepal.
>>>
>> I did that before, Nepal, and when nothing seemed to change, I activated
>> kwinrc my deleting the .old extension.  Just now I went back and
>> repeated the process.  I just renamed the file to kwinrd.old.  I just
>> don't know what to do next.  Nothing changed, I just have a page of
>> configuration related files, I believe.
>>
>> Do I reboot to see what happens?  Do I close Dolphin?  As I received
>> your email, I was trying to get into

>> could find your other response there; I forget the exact wording, but
>> they said that address did not exist, more or less.  Anyway I did not
>> find an archive of emails for the list, like I expected.  I am not
>> trying to get any to work my problem for me; I go as far as I know.  I
>> just am stumped.  After I send this reply, I will reboot and see what
>> happens.  I don't know anything else to do.  Nonetheless, if I return
>> and the problem is not resolved, do I delete
>> /home/$USER/.kde/share/config?  Then do I have to reconfigure
>> everything, email, Desktop settings, etc.?  Thanks!
>>
>> Steven
>>

> Steven, either there is a typu, or you did it wrong, its kwinrc, not kwinrd.
>
> Hint, most of the services have a configuration file and this file is
> generally the services name + either a '.conf', '.rc' or just a plain 'rc'

I didn't notice that, but I did get it right, because it worked.  Do you
know if I should delete the kwinrc.old file I created.  When I booted, I
got the old configuration back.  I just have to remember this; it is
such a sweet fix for this kind of problem.  Thanks for your continued
interest, friend.  I am getting more confident I can learn this stuff
every day.

Cordially,
Steven