Password question.

Jerry Lapham rjlapham at cinci.rr.com
Sun Nov 23 22:50:37 UTC 2008

On Sunday 23 November 2008 5:21:07 pm Steven Vollom wrote:

>  It is my impression that passwords are basically to make a
> computer safe from hacker entry and from busy-eyes.  Since I am alone,

For the lone home user, the real purpose of a separate root account and/or
sudo is to protect you from accidentally doing something harmful to your
system.  Think "FORMAT:C" or "DEL *.*" in the DOS world.  Having to change
users or run sudo with a password is a little stronger than just a "Are you
sure?" prompt after you've hit ENTER.

	-Jerry
Jerry Lapham
Monroe, OH  45050