problem cleaning up old drive

Hakan Koseoglu hakan.koseoglu at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 19:06:11 UTC 2008

nepal google wrote:
>> UUID=7cf78f1c-76a3-40c8-bdff-7c8b4570b8d0 none
>>  swap    sw              0       0
>
> I changed the UUID to the new number when creating the new swap.
> is that correct?
I don't think that would work since even with the UUID the system wouldn't know where to look at. The UUIDs are great when they are a part of the partition/file system where the  other software know where to look at. If I'm correct, the UUIDs are read from the fs and then found in /etc/fstab to see where they are going. This won't work if the target is a file or a loop device.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. :)