8.10: Konfused by KDE4

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 11:54:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 8:52 PM, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> David M wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote in gmane.linux.ubuntu.user.kubuntu
>>  about: Re: 8.10: Konfused by KDE4

>>> It should be possible to just stick that somewhere on the desktop.
>>
>> Ah, but I don't want it to be on the desktop (I'm not sure if it even
>> can be). It's precisely because KNewsTicker was the only newsfeed
>> ticker that I ever found that actually did work as a ticker embedded
>> within a panel that I like it! :-) I don't want to have to consciously
>> switch to a different app to scan news headlines, it's the fact that
>> KNewsTicker is just constantly there, slowly and discreetly scrolling
>> along the bottom of my screen that I really like:
>
> Well, I was thinking that you could stick it in a "panel-like" space on
> some edge of the desktop.  I can't even say for certain it would work,
> but so far I've found that any widget I've tried can be either in the
> panel or on the desktop - and some of them aren't even meaningful in the
> panel (I added the "comic strip" to the panel, and couldn't figure out
> what it was supposed to do - then I discovered it had to go on the
> desktop).  I'd have tried the news ticker before suggesting this, except
> that I haven't found one.

Can you add another panel (like you used to be able to do) and put the
ticker there?  That way you won't have a problem with windows covering
it when maximized.

You could put it vertically on the side, the flip your monitor over,
and get some use from those rotate buttons (just kidding).

artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface