By viewing my Disk&File Systems in Hardy, can anyone see why one HDD is partially crippled?

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Thu Nov 20 07:30:10 UTC 2008

Steven Vollom wrote:

> How do I run badblocks, explain like I know nothing at all, please.
>> Then if the data on them isn't precious, I'd just use fdisk to repartition
>> them as you see fit.
>>
> It isn't precious, but I don't want to lose it if not necessary.  I am
> building a new computer.  Can I transfer the data to it, or will it
> corrupt a new HDD?

Sure you can, as long as you do not alter the HDD configuration on your
old computer, and it will NOT corrupt a new HDD.

There are a multitude of possibilities to accomplish that, either by
copy or as an image i.e. a sort of container where your old harddisk
contents resides, ready to be accessed from your new computer.

In general my advice would be:
1. Get in contact with a computer literate friend (the emphasize is on
"computer literate", not on "friend", before fumbling with your disk
configuration and the data that's on your disk. This still applies, even
if it costs you money. Insist that a good backup will be made before
such work is even thought to be done.

2. Whenever you want to illustrate things via a screenshot, it is a VERY
BAD, BAD, BAD idea to post it to the mailing list, since it floods
anyones mailbox, broadband and modem users alike.

Instead get some space on the web.

Then transfer your screen shot and any other potential attachments there
and, finally, just post the link in your mail.

> Thanks for the help.

Your wellcome
Eberhard