Which Firefox? was: Firefox 2.0.0.14

Charly Avital shavital at mac.com
Wed Nov 19 22:19:19 UTC 2008

> ------------------------------ Message: 6 Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 22:16:03 +0200 From: Donn <donn.ingle at gmail.com> Subject: Re: Firefox 2.0.0.14 To: Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> Message-ID: <200811192216.03545.donn.ingle at gmail.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ansi_x3.4-1968" On Wednesday, 19 November 2008 21:27:39 Charly Avital wrote:
>> > The splash screen with the progression bar underneath reads Kubuntu.
> It's probably a splash screen you custom installed. It could be a bitmap using
> Kubuntu, but your system is definitely Ubuntu.

You're right, I'll get rid of that splash.

>> > /usr/bin/firefox
> Good -- that's the default.

>> > /home/shavital/firefox/firefox-bin
>> > /opt/firefox/firefox-bin
> Ah, you seem to have 2 others installed. I am not sure which one is what
> version.
>
> You need to find out which one your Firefox icon is running. Not sure about
> Gnome buttons, but right-clicking it should bring up some kind of properties
> dialog.

It does, but it only indicates Firefox Web Browser, no version.

> Either way, you should be able to run it from the terminal by:
> /usr/bin/firefox

That's 2.0.0.14
> Check version. close.
> /home/shavita/firefox/firefox

This one is 3.0.1. I'll update it to the current version, but not just
right now, please read on.

[...]

> You could always backup your data, format and install afresh, but that's too
> much work eh?

That's good advice, and I'll do it. I installed Ubuntu under VMware to
learn, hands on, about a Linux operating system. I'm not going to learn
anything right on a crufty (as you say) installation.

Thanks for your feedback and advice,
Charly

>> > DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
> Case closed :D