The fall of KDE?

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Tue Nov 18 15:58:15 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Girard Henri wrote:
>
>> and really bad atitude to believe such craps !
>>

> "Craps"?  There are certainly some things wrong in there,  (And for "bad attitude", how about people who persist in top-posting.  Please stop).
>
>>> http://ardchoille.nfshost.com/Blog/20081116
>
> but many that aren't:
>
> "... Dolphin, which is no where near as feature-rich as Konqueror. Why
> would someone take a feature-rich application out and replace it with an
> application which doesn't have a comparable set of features?
>
> True.  It's getting better, but there are still quite a few things
> missing (for instance, in the detail view of Dolphin, there are only six
> possible columns - most noticeably missing for me is the name of the
> symlink target).
>
> Kcontrol _has_ been removed (for the life of me, I can't see why he
> thinks he could do anything in it he can't do in System Settings, but he
> _is_ right that it's gone.  Perhaps he's just a little slower than me in
> realizing that much of what you saw in kcontrol is now in the "Advanced"
> tab of System Settings (it certainly took _me_ long enough to catch on).
>
> Plasma is also seriously problematic - I'm not sure he's right that it's
> really "buggy", but very few of the plasmoids are really full
> replacements for their KDE 3.5 counterparts.  He complains about kicker
> - there's no way to autohide the panel and it can't be moved.  To me
> that's pretty serious (I worked around the moving part by creating a
> completely new one, but I still hate that a whole centimetre of my
> screen is wasted).
>
> On the whole, I like KDE 4, but I can well understand every time
> somebody complains about the things that are missing.  A LOT of what we
> used to have is missing.
>
> otoh, tabs in Dolphin is a silly complaint, as he can still use
> Konqueror for file browsing.

I do not disagree with your points.
However in a 'marketing' sense, is it the customer who is wrong in
something, or is it something to do with the product not being what
they wanted or expected or not what was sold to them, or - well, what
was sold to them?

This relates to another comment in this thread - kubuntu being a Users
distro  rather than a Developers distro?

Marketing has a great deal to do with how something is received.
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user #10391