8.10 Keyboard issues

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sat Nov 15 01:14:24 UTC 2008

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Friday 14 November 2008, Billie Walsh wrote:
>
>> Something seems to have hosed my keyboard in 8.10. It will not accept
>> normal typing speed keystrokes. If I hold the key for a couple seconds
>> it will eventually accept it and put something on the screen. The mouse
>> works just fine.
>>
>> In order to do the updates that showed up I reset the repeat rate to
>> MUCH slower and and the delay longer.
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas [ I'm back in 8.04 till I can get some ideas and
>> reboot ].
>>
>> --
>> Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.
>>

> Might be related but maybe not.   In 8.10, my left arrow on the keyboard does
> nothing.  Works ok at the CLI level (out of kdm) but does not work anywhere
> within 4.1.x      Had the problem in the beta and it remains with the
> release.
>
> KDE must have some problems in that area.

I should have expanded on my issue a bit more. I don't boot into 8.10
all the time, but when I have some time to kill I boot into it to play
and keep the updates installed. A few days ago it was working fine as
far as I've tested. Today I booted in and it froze loading the KDE
stuff. I shut it down [ hard shut down with the power switch ] and
booted into the last kernel before the most current. The keyboard
wouldn't work. I shut it down and rebooted into the latest kernel and
the same problem. After I played with it for a bit I realized that if I
held the key down long enough it would show up on the screen, usually
several of them *<]:o) . I reset the repeat functions so I could at
least type in my password to get the latest updates, which may be all
for nothing if I have to hose it and reinstall.

Any further testing requires a shut down and reboot.[ one of the
problems having both systems on one computer ]

--
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.