Vlc not playing DVD's on 8.10

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Fri Nov 14 15:53:34 UTC 2008

Vlc is playing DVD's ok on 7.10, and 8.04, but I'm having problems with it on
Kubuntu Intrepid 8.10 (all distros on same machine).

When I start vlc, and select media, dvd, and click play, it opens the main
window, and shows the menu for "The Full Monty". I click on play movie, and
the window then displays the first frame of the movie, but the video isn't
running. The seconds are clicking by, but all I see is a static frame, and no
sound.

If I move the scroll bar to move through the movie, then stop scrolling, I get
about 1/4 sec of sound, and video, then it stops progressing any further.
Move the scroll bar again, and stop it further on in the movie, and the same
thing again, 1/4 sec of sound and video.

I havn't tried reinstalling vlc yet, but wondered if anyone else is seeing
this sort of thing.

Kubuntu 8.10 is fully updated, and libdvdcss2 is installed. I also installed
ffmeg, just in case.

I also installed Xine to see if that would play DVD's ok. As a dep it pulled
in libxine-ffmpeg, and Xine plays the DVD with no problemo.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

btw, it's even worse on Ubuntu 8.10. There, I click on media, then play, and
the main window opens, and instantly vlc crashes, but that's for another
thread perhaps.

Any help appreciated.

Nigel.