Kubuntu vs. Ubuntu

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Nov 12 19:15:36 UTC 2008

Steven Vollom wrote:

> I am confused.  Aren't they basically the same?

Sure they are - as I said, the non-GUI parts are identical.  So are
things like OpenOffice and Firefox.  But the core desktop components
aren't.

> What I heard was that Kubuntu had more configuration problems.

I believe you heard wrong :-)

> Doesn't Ubuntu use KDE?

No.  Ubuntu uses Gnome.

> With my new computer, I would like to make the best first
> install, so that all the little hidden files that  I never am aware
> of, come from the better first install; I am not sure if that matters,

No, it doesn't.  Anything that uses the same files in both versions is
identical.

> About
> the Ubuntu users list.  Is it like this list, where we receive emails
> and post on emails?

Exactly the same, but for all users of all Ubuntu flavors (Ubuntu,
Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, etc), but with a heavy bias towards the base
Ubuntu/Gnome product.
--
derek