Backing up.

Francisco Borges francisco.borges at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 15:43:14 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Jonas Norlander <jonorland at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2008/11/12 Francisco Borges <francisco.borges at gmail.com>:
> > I stoped using it when I found faubackup, which is much, much simpler,
> and
> > has the advantage that all your files area available directly instead of
> > ".dar.[0-9]" file.
> >
> > Faubackup actually presents you with a complete view of all your files,
> at
> > any backup point and allows the space-saving incremental backup feature
> at
> > the same time due to hard linking. (note that I guess Dar does a diff
> > between different versions of a file, while faubackup just adds a new
> copy
> > for the new version of the file)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --
> > Francisco
>
> I can see that Faubackup and hard links can be good specially when
> needed to save memory but the problem with hard links is that you
> can't link to other partitions or drives so you are forced to store
> the backup to same media you backing up. Which kind of destroying the
> whole purpose of a backup.

No, no, no.... no, no!

:-)

There are no hard-links to the original media. The hard links are created
between the different backups.

There are a bunch of hard-links between the different (full) backups you
make, so although you actually have (from a file system standpoint) a view
of each backup as a full backup, you only spend the space on disk once.

sorry if I was unclear.

cheers,
--
Francisco