Backing up.

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 14:49:22 UTC 2008

2008/11/12 Francisco Borges <francisco.borges at gmail.com>:
> I stoped using it when I found faubackup, which is much, much simpler, and
> has the advantage that all your files area available directly instead of a
> ".dar.[0-9]" file.
>
> Faubackup actually presents you with a complete view of all your files, at
> any backup point and allows the space-saving incremental backup feature at
> the same time due to hard linking. (note that I guess Dar does a diff
> between different versions of a file, while faubackup just adds a new copy
> for the new version of the file)
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Francisco

I can see that Faubackup and hard links can be good specially when
needed to save memory but the problem with hard links is that you
can't link to other partitions or drives so you are forced to store
the backup to same media you backing up. Which kind of destroying the
whole purpose of a backup.

/ Jonas