First Impressions of Kubuntu 8.10

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Nov 11 16:10:47 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:

>>> Whenever I add a panel, it's just a black bar, and anything I put in
>>> it is equally black.  Black on black works for formal occasions, but
>>> not on my desktop. :-)
>
> I've tried this again, and seem to have a working panel on the top of
> my screen - but the system tray only has half the items of the
> original tray.  Only the battery applet seems to be missing of the
> important items, though.

OK, so the system tray works a little differently from 3.5 - things only
appear in the tray if they're started _after_ the tray.  Unfortunately,
after logging off (where do I configure that insane "logging off in 30
seconds" countdown!  - that's even worse than Windows) and back on, it
moved my new panel back to the bottom of the screen AND emptied it.
Very annoying...
--
derek