Backing up.

Robert Parker rlp1938 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 03:39:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 7:43 AM, David Fletcher <dave at thefletchers.net> wrote:

> The script does a couple of rsync runs, from the local /etc directory to a
> backup directory in my home folder, then also from my server to local home,
> then does a tar file of /home/.

At last! A discussion of what should be backed up. I'd tar
/var/cache/apt to a backup dir in /home also and make sure it was
backed up before being cleaned. No sense in downloading all your
updates and additions after a reinstall.

> BTW I then use kgpg to do a symmetrical encryption of the tar file and make
> several copies on flash drives - home office shelf, briefcase, car glove box,
> subversion server at the office. I don't anticipate losing all of them
> together unless there's another mass extinction event, in which case it won't
> matter anyway.

I like DVD's for backup. Can include growisofs in the backup script.

Bob
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!