Backing up.

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 22:07:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:26 PM, Tycho Andersen <tycho at tycho.ws> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Knapp wrote:
>
>> Hello, I have been dumb for years and gotten away with it. Now I want
>> to start backing up my system.
>> What is the best software for this? Is there a system that backs up
>> only what you say and then every week or day or whatever does an
>> incremental backup perhaps linked to cron, so I don't have to think
>> about it? What is the best software?
>> Thanks from the backup stupid me.
>
> If you're not scared of configuring cron, check out the command line
> utility rdiff-backup (there may be associated GUI frontends, I'm not
> sure). I have a script set up to mirror all the important directories
> locally across disks and remotely over ssh once a week.
>
> rdiff-backup will create a mirror of a particular directory, where each
> subsequent backup will be incremental. It will also let you explore the
> revision information, which is stored in a special subdirectory. It
> can function like rsync, doing remote backups over ssh efficiently.
>
> HTH,
> Tycho

I not fraid of CLI or compiling or hard to set up stuff but I would
really like to have something full service, easy and gui, so I can
have a life. If I can't then I can't and will live with the CLI :-)

My past backup (last year??) was to DVD but I was thinking of getting
a new drive and doing it to that or I could just stick with the DVD.
Last time the DVD backup was done using dvdisaster in RS02 mode by
hand.

--
Douglas E Knapp