Backing up.

Tycho Andersen tycho at tycho.ws
Mon Nov 10 20:26:01 UTC 2008

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Knapp wrote:

> Hello, I have been dumb for years and gotten away with it. Now I want
> to start backing up my system.
> What is the best software for this? Is there a system that backs up
> only what you say and then every week or day or whatever does an
> incremental backup perhaps linked to cron, so I don't have to think
> about it? What is the best software?
> Thanks from the backup stupid me.

If you're not scared of configuring cron, check out the command line
utility rdiff-backup (there may be associated GUI frontends, I'm not
sure). I have a script set up to mirror all the important directories
locally across disks and remotely over ssh once a week.

rdiff-backup will create a mirror of a particular directory, where each
subsequent backup will be incremental. It will also let you explore the
revision information, which is stored in a special subdirectory. It
can function like rsync, doing remote backups over ssh efficiently.

HTH,
Tycho