Why do people dislike Dolphin?

nepal nepal.roade at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 4 17:34:00 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 04 November 2008, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/11/4 nepal <nepal.roade at googlemail.com>:
> > I need to clarify a couple of things not covered by the
> > original brief.
> >
> > 1. I'm using Kubuntu 7.10
>
> 7.10 or 8.10?

??? can you not see the line above yours?

> What version of KDE?

3.5.8.

> > 2. My complaint is mostly about what all my complaints
> > are about modern life, form over function. do you
> > understand what that means? or form before function, or
> > form senior to function. D**phin is one good example.
>
> Actually, Dolphin and KDE 4 are designed for function,
> but with form in mind. I know that the current 4.1 is
> lacking on function. 4.2 will be much, much better. In
> the meantime 3.5 is still supported.

> >> I need more detail than that. Something specific.
> >
> > as an example it reminded me of korganiser/kcontact
> > when it was given a 'side panel' ala ms outlook.
>
> Specifically, what bothers you? Could you attach a
> screenshot illustrating it? This is too vague. I am
> unfamiliar with MS Outlook.

No, too many years ago.

> >> Sounds like a bug. Can you please elaborate?
> >
> > This has already been mentioned, I change the view
> > settings, move to another location, up or down and they
> > all resume default settings. I want to see my files not
> > pretty icon pictures.
>
> This is configurable. I'm on KDE 3 at the moment, but it
> should not be difficult to find under Options. If you
> click the toolbar button, it does not 'stick'. If you set
> it in options, it does.

> >> And you have that choice! Isn't FOSS great?
> >
> > don't be facetious.
>
> I will word it more clearly. You can continue to use
> Konqueror. Distros are free to decide which file manager
> to make default.

You don't need to re-word it any way, I perfectly understood
your line and thought it facetious. Don't you know what
that means?

> >> Wait until KDE 4.2 at least then.
> >
> > I am not waiting at all. If it didn't keep coming up on
> > this list I would have forgotten about it already.
>
> Even better!

> >> Could you be more specific? What would you change to
> >> make it not pig ugly? What components do not look good
> >> to you?
> >
> > It reminds me of windbloes.
>
> I am not familiar with windbloes. What specific details
> look ugly to you? The shapes of the icons? The colours?
> The font?

Can't say, whenever I look at a windbloes screen, I throw up
all over it obscuring everything. ;)

What you are getting is the impression I was left with when
I had the misfortune of coming into contact with D**phin.

btw, I think Gnome is pig ugly too, but I do like their
icons.

> > I would change nothing. Having read p.daniels excellent
> > write up of Krusader, if konq is to disappear then I
> > will go with that. I had a look at the home page as he
> > suggested and there are many more features that it is
> > capable of than I realised. Krusader is a great example
> > of the opposite of form over function and I will most
> > likely start using it a lot more than I did, seeing the
> > way the wind seems to be blowing.
>
> Krusader really is a great file manager. I highly
> recommend it, especially for technical users like you and
> me. Dolphin is not for us.

so why do you keep asking me about it?
especially when I've made it clear I have NO interest in it
whatsoever and haven't looked at it in a long long time.

> > p.s. Not everyone wants the latest and greatest. I want
> > something that actually will do the work and perform
> > the functions that I need it to.
>
> Please, whenever you find a function that you feel is
> missing, either file a bug or write to the list and cc
> me. Thanks.

ok.

> > that is the best I can do. I haven't looked at D**phin
> > in a long long time and don't intend to.
>
> Your comments are much appreciated.
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com