Why do people dislike Dolphin?

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 18:38:47 UTC 2008

more from me :P

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/11/4 nepal <nepal.roade at googlemail.com>:
>> On Monday 03 November 2008, Herman Holmström wrote:
>>> Honestly. I've recently started using KDE instead of
>>> gnome, and I like Dolphin a lot more than Nautilus. I
>>> just don't understand why people think it's so bad. I
>>> mean, I'm no hardcore user. I want to be able to browse
>>> and move my files. Which pretty much any file manager
>>> does. I can understand if a file manager is utterly
>>> retarded and crashes and, well, just doesn't work. Why is
>>> it that so many hates Dolphin?
>> 1. Being forced to use it by default.
>>

> Agreed, that was a bad decision on Kubuntu's part.
>
>> 2. Poor use of on-screen space, showing information in
>> panels that I only need occasionally. This is achieved much
>> better by tool tips than wasting screen real estate.
>>

> Only us power user think that. Really. And we can configure that.

my 1st impression when i saw dolphin in gutsy was, wtf? oh boy, i'm
going to need to scroll a lot to see my cluttered directories. in short,
it showed, big icons, used half the screen only, the rest is used by
useless bars. in KDE4, it got a better UI, but still...

>> 3. It is cluttered and poorly thought out to look at, and
>> merely seems like some other piece of software is being
>> copied in order to 'stay with the gang', Instant impression
>> was its trying to be like some well known m$ software.
>>

> I need more detail than that. Something specific.
>
>> 4. Software panels that keep reconfiguring themselves after
>> one has made setting changes is not f****ing friendly but
>> stupid as someone else said. Years ago when I wrote
>> software I would never do that to my users.
>>

> Sounds like a bug. Can you please elaborate?
>
>> 5. There is a perfectly good file manager called Konqueror
>> which I have grown to love, if I want to use another
>> filemanager, which I do occasionally, I use Krusader. I
>> would never use D**phin and never will.
>>

> And you have that choice! Isn't FOSS great?

but now even konqueror lost it's features! right-click, extract options,
i miss them like hell. copy text, and paste in konq, creates a new text
file, also missing :( and a lot more of these tiny details that we had
tons of, all missing. so basically i'm left with no decent file manager
at all. i tried krusader, didn't like it. and as for konq's tons of
settings, i LOVED them, i hate barely configurable applications, one of
the first things i learned when i started to use linux was," look
around, see all this stuff, every single pixel is configurable, you can
configure an application so far from the defaults, it would barely be
recognizable anymore. and this is a general rule for almost all
applications in linux, but dolphin? do you even consider those available
as **settings**?

>> 6. After having D**phin installed as default and the
>> experience of its constant rearranging of *my* settings, it
>> is unlikely I will ever look at this bit of softare again,
>> *EVER*.
>>

> Wait until KDE 4.2 at least then.

i'm waiting, very waiting. but after hearing this a lot, i'm afraid it
will really be a HUGE blow to me if KDE 4.2 turns out to be just a
slightly improved KDE 4.1 . let's hope it's far better as everyone keeps
saying.

>> 7. Just for good measure, its pig ugly!
>>

> Could you be more specific? What would you change to make it not pig
> ugly? What components do not look good to you?

for some reason, i look at all KDE4 applications in general, and have
this feeling that they are running in legacy or something, like they're
GTK apps running in KDE, or some wine program, the colouring is aweful,
and the general interaction makes you feel the apps are not in their
native environment, very minimal compared to KDE3. there's even more
trouble, but i read somewhere about a lot of the rendering bugs caused
by nvidia's proprietary driver, so now, i can't tell for sure if a
certain bugs is KDE's fault, or nvidia's fault. like the missing and
flaky icons in the bottom right corner, windows hanging when moved, and
general stuff like that. and come to think about it, probably nvidia's
bugs are those responsible for the sluggishness of apps in KDE4 compared
to their responsivness in GNOME. we need some non-nvidia user to confirm
this.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems